Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
  • The Dewerstone
Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
  • image height 140mm,
  • image width 456mm
two sheets of paper
  • sheet, verso
  • “No 9 / September 1st 1815 / Francis Towne / Dewerstone with divides the two Rivers / which uniting forms the Plym”
Part of
  • 1815 Sketchbook
Object Type

Catalogue Number
Description Sources
Museum records (image)


Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 as part of a sketchbook containing FT765 to FT786, which they gave to their cousin Mary Ann Loveband (b.1865, alive in 1951), who sold the book to Agnew’s on 17 May 1938 for £60. On 17 November 1938 Agnew’s (no.2695) sold this drawing for £18 to Paul Oppé (no. 74) on behalf of the current owner, the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa (no. 5075).

Associated People & Organisations

National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 17 November 1938, no. 5075
Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 17 November 1938, GBP 18, no. 74
Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 17 May 1938, GBP 60, no.2695
Mary Ann Loveband (1865 - alive in 1951)
Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
Inherited as part of a sketchbook containing FT765 to FT786.
Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
Inherited as part of a sketchbook containing FT765 to FT786.
John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Exhibition History
British Drawings from the National Gallery of Canada, National Gallery of Canada, 2005, no. 26
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Annual Report of the Board of Trustees for the fiscal year 1937/38: Ottawa, 1938, p. 19


Dewerstone Rocks is a rocky outcrop just north of Shaugh Prior where the Rivers Plym and Meavy meet. A description of 1804 called it a 

Valley of Rocks. . . . Those immense masses of granite rock rise several hundred feet perpendicular from the bed of the river, tinted with a variety of mosses and lichens, while the Cad rushes over rocks, and forming a succession of beautiful falls, unites with the Mew; at their junction the Plym takes its name, which, after passing through bridges of unrivalled picturesque appearance, and valleys rich with wood, flows under its fourth and last bridge, and mingles with the sea below Saltram.1

Towne made two other drawing close to this spot; the peak in the centre of this drawing is also in FT775 and FT777.

by Richard Stephens


  1. 1 Williams 1804, p.33.

Revisions & Feedback

The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.

Please help us to improve this catalogue

If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.