- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Firth of Forth with the Island of Inchkeith
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image width 254mm
- sheet, verso
- “9 / Firth of Forth with the Island of Inishkeith / in Fifeshire Edinburgh August 17 1811 / Francis Towne”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was offered for sale at Christie’s on 9 November 1993, lot 30, whereafter it is untraced.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.