- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Grand Cascade, Tivoli
- Tivoli from below the falls, with the Temple of Vesta
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 504mm,
- image length 389mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No.22 / F Towne delt / 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Italy / No.22 / Tivoli F.Towne delt / May 15th. 1781 / from 3 o clock till 6”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn.3.6).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1816, Nn,3.6
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Gaspard Dughet called Gaspar Poussin 1615-75: A French landscape painter in seventeenth century Rome and his influence on British Art', Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood House, 1980, no. 77
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Travels in Italy 1776-1783 based on the Memoirs of Thomas Jones, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester, 1988, no. 53
- Grand Tour: the Lure of Italy in the Eighteenth Century, Tate Gallery, 1996, no. 113
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 127
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 77
- 1 Thomas Jones, The Grand Cascade, Tivoli, ca. 1777 (Sumner & Smith 2003); J. Emes after John “Warwick” Smith, The Grand Cascade, Tivoli, 1792 (National Art Library)]; Jacob More, The Grand Cascade, Tivoli, ca. 1785 (Andrew 1993); Thomas Smith, The Grand Cascade, Tivoli, ca. 1780–95 (1793 Manning & Albany exhibition catalogue).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.