- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Palatine Hill
- The Palatine Hill looking towards the Baths of Caracalla
- On the Palatine Mount
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 319mm,
- image length 473mm
- laid paper with a watermark with a design of a fleur de lis within a coronet
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / Rome. No.24”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.22 / Palatine Mount looking towards the Baths of Caracalla Janry 3d 1781 [over scratched-out “Janry 30th 1781”] from 9 till 12 O Clock / Rome Francis Towne delt / N.B. Mrs. J.Fortescue had a Copy of this [“Janry 20th. 1786.” scratched out] sent to her at Buckland House / Devonshire”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.29).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 174, 175, 176, 177 or 178 as 'On the Palatine Mount'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 125
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 122
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.