- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Splugen Pass
- The Top of the Splügen Pass. II
- A view near Mount Splugen
- ca. 1781
- Pencil, pen and brown and grey inks, watercolour, scratching out
- image height 147mm,
- image length 212mm
- mounted by the artist
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until sold anonymously at Foster’s on 27 July 1910, lot 151 (a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, FT862) for 25s. to Paul Oppé 91878–1957; no.49), whose descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T08561
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 27 July 1910, GBP 25s, no.49
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910, lot 151
Sold as a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793 and a drawing by an unidentified pupil.
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 106 as 'A view near Mount Splugen'
- Catalogue of a collection of pictures, drawings, furniture and works of art of the Empire and Regency period : select examples of Romano-British art, Burlington Fine Arts Club, 1929, no. 9
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 31
- Early English Drawings and Watercolours from the Collection of Paul Oppe Esq., Graves Art Gallery, 1952, no. 66
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, Royal Academy, 1958, no. 100
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, National Gallery of Canada, 1961, no. 80
- De Englese Aquarel uit de 18de Eeuw, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; Albertina, Vienna, 1965, no. 117
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 144
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 164
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.