- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Tarpeian Rock
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 407mm,
- image length 470mm
- two sheets, the larger watermarked "WHATMAN"
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt / Rome No.48. / 1781”
- on the smaller sheet
- sheet, verso, lower right
- “F Towne delt.”
- on the larger sheet
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.43 / Tarpein Rock 1781 [the year in dark brown ink, over scratched-out “July 3rd, 1781”] / Rome Francis Towne. delt”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.16).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 182 as 'Tarpeian Rock'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 158
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 111
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.