- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Temple of Vesta and the Temple of Fortuna Virilis
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 388mm,
- image length 318mm
- laid paper watermarked with a fleur de lis within coronet design, and with a horizontal crease 150mm from the top edge of the paper
- mounted by the artist.
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne. delt / Rome. June 27. 1781 / No45”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Temple of Vesta é Tempio della Fortuna Viele [“June 27th 1781” scratched out] / Oggi Chiesa di St. Maria. / Rome Francis Towne delt.”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.18).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 159 as 'Temple of Vesta'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 43, 75, 126
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, pp. 113-114
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 80
- 1 T. Girtin and J. M. W. Turner after J. R. Cozens: The Temple of Vesta, 1790s? (www.tate.org.uk).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.