- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Vale of the Dee below Llangollen
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 305mm,
- image length 483mm
- paper with a vertical crease down the centre
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F. Towne / del. 1777 No. 37”
- artist's mount, verso
- “The vale of the Dee below Llangollen drawn on the spot by F Towne [indistinct words, erased] 1777 No37. Light from the Left hand mounted[?] in 1801”
- Inscribed in pencil up to “Llangollen”, otherwise ink, ands “A copy of this Lady Acland has.”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP119). In September 1936 (October according to the Barton Place catalogue) Judith Merivale sold it to Agnew’s (no.2157) for £35, where on 17 September 1936 H. M. C. Jones Mortimer bought it for £35. The drawing is now in a private collection in Clwyd (Inland Revenue Tax Exempt Heritage Item 17552).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, Clwyd, 17552
- H. M. C. Jones Mortimer, 7 September 1936, GBP 35
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, September 1936, GBP 35, no. 2157
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP119
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP119
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 42 as 'Vale of the Dee'
- Annual Exhibition of Water-Colours & Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1934, no. 114 as 'The Valley of the Dee, below Llangollen 1777'
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 106
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.