- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Villa of Maecenas, Tivoli
- Villa of Maecenas at Tivoli from below the falls
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image height 501mm,
- image length 382mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “Tivoli / Villa of Mecenes No.24 / Francis Towne delt’”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.24 / Italy / Villa of Maecenas at Tivoli / Francis Towne delt / 1781”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn.3.08).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1818, Nn,3.8
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 127
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 112
- 1 John Warwick Smith, The Temple of Hercules Victor, ca. 1776–81 (Wilton & Bignamini 1996); Jacob More, The Temple of Hercules Victor, 1780s? (Andrew 1993).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.