- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Tivoli from below the waterfalls
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 249mm,
- image length 393mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt / 1781”
- the year added later
- artist's mount, verso
- “No7 Italy / Tivoli / drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne / [date scratched out] 1781”,
- the year in dark brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825) and given by him in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn.2.15).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1816, Nn,2.15
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 124
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 112
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.