- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A distant view of Tivoli
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 248mm,
- image length 393mm
- wove paper
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "J WHATMAN 1794"
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt. 1781”
- in brown ink, save the year, which is in black ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Italy / No.8 / Tivoli / drawn on the Spot / by Francis Towne / [“April 26th 1781” scratched out] 1781”
- all in brown ink, save the year which is in dark brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825) and given by him in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn.2.16).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1816, Nn,2.16
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- British Artists in Europe, Whitworth Art Gallery, 1973, no. 8
- British Artists in Rome 1700-1800, Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood House, 1974, no. 141
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 112
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 57
- 1 Wilcox 1997, p.57.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.