- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- At Tivoli
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 384mm,
- image length 498mm
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "WHATMAN" and dated "1794"
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “No25 / F.Towne delt. / May 16. 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.25 Tivoli / Francis Towne delt. / 1781[in dark brown ink over scratched-out “May 16. 1781”] / Morning Sun from the right hand”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn,2.31).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1816, Nn,2.31
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 149 as 'In a Wood of Olives at Tivoli'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 80, 125
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 73
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.