- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil (?), pen and ink, wash
- image width 222mm,
- image length 318mm
- sheet, verso
- “Tivoli”, numbered “38”, and dated 22nd May
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Paul Oppé notes
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP14). Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery on 19 March 1935 for £5 10s., whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Squire Gallery, London, 19 March 1935, GBP 5.10s
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP14
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP14
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.