- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Tivoli, an Evening Study
- Pencil (?), pen and ink, wash
- image height 222mm,
- image length 318mm
- “Tivoli, An Evening Study” (?), numbered “30”, and dated 22nd May
- based on the Barton Place catalogue
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Paul Oppé notes
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP13). On 5 March 1936 (May 1936 according to the Barton Place catalogue) Judith Merivale sold it to Agnew’s (no.1864) for £6 and on the same day they sold it to Oliver Quibell of Newark (1863–1945) for £9 9s., whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Oliver Quibell (1863 - 1945), Newark, 5 March 1936, GBP 9.9s
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 5 March 1936, GBP 6
Barton Place catalogue suggests May 1936
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP13
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP13
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.