- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Torre Abbey, Devon, the Seat of George Cary, Esq.
- Pencil, pen and thin grey ink, watercolour
- image width 340mm,
- image length 518mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne delt 1779”
- in brown ink
- sheet, verso
- “Torre Abbey, Devon, the Seat of George Cary, Esqre, 1779”
- Object Type
- Torre Abbey, Torquay
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image); Agnew’s records
Presumably commissioned ca. 1779 by George Cary (1731–1805) of Torre Abbey, but untraced until on sale at Walker’s Galleries in 1952. Walker’s sold it on 21 July 1952 to Agnew’s (no.6959), who sold it on 6 February 1953 to Sir William Worsley, Bt (1890–1973, who on 22 April 1955 sold it back to Agnew’s (no.7968), where it was bought on 14 May 1956 by Bruce Howe for £120. In 1981 it was given anonymously to the current owner, Rhode Island School of Design (81.171.9).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Rhode Island Museum of Art, School of Design, Providence, 1981, 81.171.9
- Dr Bruce Howe, 14 May 1956, GBP 120
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 22 April 1955, no.7968
- Sir William Worsley (1890 - 1973), 6 February 1953
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 21 July 1952, no.6959
- Walker's Galleries, London, 1952
- [?] George Cary (1731 - 1805), Torquay, Torbay, Devon, 1779
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, Walker's Galleries, 1952, no. 106
- 80th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1953, no. 1
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 69
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.