- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Torre Abbey, Torquay
- ca. 1775 - 1779
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 318mm,
- image length 416mm
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915. It was acquired on 30 September 1935, lot 29, for £1 8s. 6d. (with FT055, FT064, FT564) by Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.2103). It was not part of the collection sold to Tate Britain by Oppé's descendants in 1996.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923)
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957)
- Private Collection
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 7
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 148
- 1 Donn 1965, pl.11a.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.