- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Tree Study
- No date
- Pen and ink, blue wash
- sheet, recto
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham inherited this drawing in 1915, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, Walker's Galleries, 1949, no. 152
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 34
- Richard Seddon, 'Some Notable Watercolours of the Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield', Old Watercolour Society's Club, ed. Adrian Bury (ed.): London, 1963, p. 25
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.