- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Two Rhines
- from the same series as drawings on paper of ca. 280 x 465 mm watermarked “C&I HONIG”
- sheet, verso
- “Two Rhines”, dated 30 August 1781, and numbered “22”
- and probably containing a note of its commission by John Short on 6 February 1788 for 8 guineas
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place Catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP67, Two Rhines 30 Aug No.22). In September 1934 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £6 6s., whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Squire Gallery, September 1934, GBP 6 6s
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP67
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP67
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- [?] John Jeffrey Short (1753 - 1801), Bickham, Minehead, Somerset, 6 February 1788
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.