- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ugbrooke Park
- Pen and black ink, grey wash
- image height 419mm,
- image length 705mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- F.Towne delt 1776”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Witt Library (image)
Commissioned by Hugh, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726–1783), and descended to the present owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- [?] Hugh Clifford, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726 - 1783), Chudleigh, Devon, 1776
- Exhibition History
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 66, 67 or 69
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 140
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 50
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.