- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ugbrooke Park
- View in Devonshire
- Oil on wood
- image height 508mm,
- image length 699mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / Pinxt 1780”
- “For the Rt. Hon. Lord Clifford, Ugbrooke Park”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Witt Library; Tate catalogue
Commissioned by Hugh, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726–1783), and descended to the present owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Hugh Clifford, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726 - 1783), Chudleigh, Devon
- Exhibition History
- [?] The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1780, no. 21 or 24 as 'View in Devonshire'
- unidentified exhibition but very probably the display for which George Pycroft wrote Short Biographies of Devonshire Artists. Notes Presented to the Committee by George Pycroft, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1885
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 14
- Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art, Sixth Report on Works of Art In Devonshire in Transactions of the Devonshire Association: Plymouth, 1885, p. 155
- George Oliver, Cliffordiana, T.Howe: Exeter, 1830, p. 92
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.