- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ulswater, near Patterdale
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil, pen and black and brown inks, watercolour
- image height 260mm,
- image length 380mm
- sheet, verso
- “Light from the Left hand / Ulswater”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination Gainsborough’s House (image); Sotheby's records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP151). In 1938 Judith Merivale sold it to Agnew’s for £8, and it was sold at Sotheby’s on 19 March 1981, lot 105, for £3,200. In 2012 it was exhibited at Gainsborough’s House, Sudbury, as from an English private collection.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Sotheby's, London, London, 19 March 1981, GBP 3200, lot 105
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP151
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP151
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 53, 54 or 55 as 'Ulswater, or Ulswater, near Patterdale'
- Home and Abroad: Drawings and Watercolours from a Private Collection, Gainsborough's House, 2012
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.