- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View at Tivoli – Morning
- At Tivoli: Mountain Landscape In The Alban Hills
- A scene at Tivoli
- No date
- Oil on wood
- image width 470mm,
- image length 655mm
- board, recto, lower right
- “pinxt 1800”
- board, verso
- “[obscured by a label] Towne”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until owned prior to 1937 by Thomas Andrew (Mayor of Exeter 1881–82). Dr Robert Alfred Worthington (1878–1945) of Exeter gave it in 1937 to the current owner, the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Exeter (106/1937.1). The museum records give a Merivale provenance prior to Thomas Andrew and this may be the “Italy ca. 2 x 2.5ft Dark masses of trees, broad toned hills” that Paul Oppé saw in ca. 1915 in the collection of Reginald Merivale (1852–1937).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter, 1937, 106/1937.1
- Dr Robert Alfred Worthington (1878 - 1945), Exeter, 1937
- Thomas Andrew, Exeter
- [?] Reginald Merivale (1852 - 1937), 1915
- [?] John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- [?] James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1800, no. 211 as 'View at Tivoli - morning'
- [?] Works of British artists placed in the Gallery of the British Institution, Pall-Mall for exhibition and Sale, British Institution, 1808, no. 162 as 'A scene at Tivoli, measuring 737 x 940 mm'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 83
- English Painting 1560-1860, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1968, no. 20
- Paintings and Drawings by Francis Towne and John White Abbott in the collection of Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1971, no. 2
- Francis Towne & John White Abbott: Paintings and Watercolours from the Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Marble Hill House, 1973, no. 2
- Jane C. Baker, Catalogue of Oil Paintings, Watercolours, Drawings and Sculpture, Exeter Museums: Exeter, 1978, p. 118
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 63, 134
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 101
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.