- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View from Powis Castle towards Welshpool
- ca. 1777 - 1815
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 108mm,
- image length 184mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt”
- sheet, verso
- “View from Powis Castle towards Welshpool”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Agnew’s records (image)
Probably bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP127) and gave it to their nephew Herman Walter Merivale (b.1898) in 1924. He was probably the father of Dr Walter Herman Hodgson Merivale (ca. 1918–1971), who sold it on 21 October 1966 to Agnew’s (no.6500) for £900 with FT236. On 23 January 1967 Agnew’s sold it to a private collector, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 23 January 1967
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 21 October 1966, GBP 900, no.6500
Acquired with FT236
- Dr Walter Herman Hodgson Merivale (ca. 1918 - 1971)
- Herman Walter Merivale (1898), 1924
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP127
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP127
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- 94th Annual Exhibition of Watercolours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1967, no. 47 as 'View from Powis Castle towards Welshpool'
- Henry Penruddocke Wyndham, A Tour Through Monmouthshire and Wales Made in the Months of June and July 1774 and in the months of June, July and August 1777: Salisbury, 1781, p. 189
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.