- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View going over Mount Splugen
- ca. 1784 - 1785
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 495mm,
- image length 580mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne delt 1784 [and indistinctly “Francis . . .1785”]”
- sheet, verso
- “View going over Mount Splugen Drawn by Francis Towne 1785”
- Object Type
- Waterfall between Chiavenna and Mount Splugen, Untraced
A View going from the Head of Lake Como over Mount Splugen, Cleveland Museum of Art
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
Untraced until 16 July 1947 when R. J. Aldridge sold it to Colnaghi (no.A14637), who sold it on 18 July 1947 (17 July according to Gilbert Davis’s record) for £90 to Gilbert Davis (1899–1983), who sold it in 1959 to the current owner, Huntingdon Library (59.55.1273).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Huntington Library, San Marino, California, San Marino, 1959, 59.55.1273
- Gilbert Davis (1899 - 1983), 18 July 1947, GBP 90
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, 16 July 1947
- R. J. Aldridge
- Exhibition History
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 24
- Gilbert Davis Collection (2nd Series), Arts Council, 1955, no. 68
- British Landscape Drawings and Watercolours 1750-1850: Twenty Four Examples from The Huntingdon Collection, Huntingdon Library, 1981, no. 7
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 139
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 133
- 1 The Listener, 13 October 1955, p.612; via the Listener Historical Archive, accessed 11 August 2014.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.