- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View of a Mountain, Perhaps near Aberddwlas
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 223mm,
- image length 278mm
- paper with a watermark with a design of fleur de lis and the letters 'VDC'
- sheet, verso
- “No9 View of a Mountain near Aberddwla June 27th. 1777 / drawn on the Spot by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP104a). On 24 May 1921 they sold it for £20 to Agnew’s (no.9952) for onward sale the same day (for £350 with FT072, FT086, FT108, FT111, FT237, FT260, FT366, FT469, FT504) to the current owner, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (Inv 93'21).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham, 24 May 1921, GBP 350, Inv 93'21
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 25 May 1921, GBP 20, no.9952
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP104a
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP104a
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Wales and the Wye Valley, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 1970, no. 32
- British Watercolours 1760-1930 from the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Arts Council of Great Britain, 1980, no. 12
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 135
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 22
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.