- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Walls (?)of Rome
- ca. 1780 - 1781
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image width 153mm,
- image length 211mm
- mounted by the artist
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until sold anonymously at Foster’s on 27 July 1910, lot 151 (a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, and FT862), for 25s. to Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.42), whose descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery (T8566).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T8566
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 27 July 1910, GBP 25s, no.42
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910, lot 151
Sold in a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793 and a drawing by an unidentified pupil
- Exhibition History
- Forty Drawings of Roman Scenes by British Artists (1715-1850) from Originals in the British Museum in the Esposizione internationale di Belle Arti, 1911, no. 48
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 22
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, Royal Academy, 1958, no. 95
- 1 The Times, 15 March 1958.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.