- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- sheet, verso
- “Wemworthy” and “1796”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP212) and, as the Barton Place catalogue contains no record of its disposal, it may have remained with the family until or after Judith Merivale’s death. In 1955 Weenworthy 1796 was noted in the collection of Paul Oppé (1878–1957) by Henri Lemaitre, although perhaps this was an error as no evidence has been found linking it to Oppé.
- Associated People & Organisations
- [?] Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 1955
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP212
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP212
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915; Oppé 1920, p.125.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.