- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Wenlock Priory
- English Landscape with Ruins (Powderham)
- ca. 1777
- Pen and ink, monochrome wash
- image height 267mm,
- image length 349mm
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Wenlock Priory, Graves Art Gallery
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP256, “ruins (very early)”). Judith Merivale attempted to sell it in the 1930s via Squire Gallery but the drawing was returned unsold in October 1939. On 12 July 1945 H. B. Milling (of Squire Gallery) sold it to Colnaghi (no.A13152), who sold it on 4 November 1947 for £20 to Gilbert Davis (1899–1983), who sold it to the present owner, the Huntington Library, San Marino, California (59.55.1272).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Huntington Library, San Marino, California, San Marino
- Gilbert Davis (1899 - 1983), 4 November 1947, GBP 20
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 4 November 1945
- Horace Bernard Milling (1898 - 1954), London, 12 July 1945
- Squire Gallery, London
Judith Merivale attempted to sell it in the 1930s via the Squire Gallery but the drawing was returned unsold in October 1939
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP256
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP256
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 138, listed as 'English Landscape with Ruins (Powderham)'
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.