- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- No date
- Pen and ink, (?) watercolour
- sheet, verso
- Object Type
- Outline only
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes; Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP225). This drawing was probably “One small coloured sketch trees Werington (no date)” given to Rose Merivale in June 1935 (presumably Rosamund Merivale, b.1912), whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Rosamund MacBrien (née Merivale, later Young) (1912), June 1935
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP225
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP225
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.