- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Werrington Park
- No date
- image height 182mm,
- image length 232mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt”
- in grey ink, the second line partially cut off
- artist's mount, verso
- “This drawing done on the Spot / in Werington Park / in the County of Devon / by / Francis Towne”
- in dark brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (no BP number is recorded). Judith Merivale gave it to her niece, Patricia Rawlins, who bequeathed it to the current owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Patricia Rawlins
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 125
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915; Oppé 1920, p.125.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.