- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Windsor Castle from the Grounds of Eton College
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image width 510mm
- two sheets
- sheet, verso
- “No.4. / Windsor Castle / from the Play Grounds / at Eaton College / Septr 12th. 1811 / Francis Towne”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was sold at Christie’s on 12 November 1991, lot 14, for £5,800 to Leger Galleries; Leger sold it to Spink the same day. It was sold again at Sotheby’s on 4 July 2001, lot 187, for £6,200. It was offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 30th November 2000, lot 232, but did not sell, and John Spink offered it for sale in November 2005 for £36,000. In February 2009 Maurice Dear was offering it for sale at £18,750.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Maurice Dear, London, February 2009, GBP £18,750
- John Spink, November 2005, GBP 36000
- Sotheby's, London, London, 4 July 2001, lot 187
- Sotheby's, London, London, 30 November 2000, lot 232
- Spink & Son, London, 12 November 1991
- Leger Galleries, London, 12 November 1991, GBP 5800
- Christie's, London, London, 12 November 1991, lot 14
- Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale) (? - 1909)
Within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Reproduced in Roberts 1995, p.13.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.