- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Windsor Castle from the Grounds of Eton College
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image width 510mm
- two sheets watermarked “J WHATMAN 1808”
- sheet, verso
- “No.5. / Windsor Castle / from the Play Grounds at Eaton College. / Septr 12h. 1811 / Francis Towne”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was sold at Christie’s on 12 November 1991, lot 15, for £12,500 to Leger Galleries; Leger sold it to Spink the same day. It was offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 30 November 2000, lot 231, but did not sell. It was sold again at Sotheby’s on 4 July 2001, lot 186, for £9,200. John Spink offered it for sale in November 2005 for £40,000.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- John Spink, November 2005, GBP 40000
- Sotheby's, London, London, 4 July 2001, GBP 9200, lot 186
- Sotheby's, London, London, 30 November 2000, lot 231
- Spink & Son, London, London, 12 November 1991
- Leger Galleries, London, 12 November 1991, GBP 12500
- Christie's, London, London, 12 November 1991, lot 15
- Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale) (? - 1909)
Within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.