- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Worcester College, Oxford
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 178mm,
- image width 262mm
- sheet, verso
- “No.1 / Worcester College Oxford / from 1 o Clock till 3. August 25.1813 / Francis Towne Delt”
- in brown ink over pencil except “No.1”, which is in grey ink
- Part of
- 1813 Sketchbook
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1745–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1745–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 as part of a sketchbook containing FT752, FT754, FT764, which they sold in 1927 to Walker’s Galleries for £60. In 1928 Augustus Walker (1866/1867–1965) gave this drawing to the current owner, the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (DBB.1825).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, 1928, DBB.1825
- Augustus Walker (1866/67 - 1965), 1928
- Walker's Galleries, London, 1927, GBP 60
Within a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764.
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- 24th Annual Exhibition of Early English Watercolours, Walker's Galleries, 1928, no. 75
- David Blaney Brown, Ashmolean Museum Catalogue of Drawings Vol 4: Earlier English Drawings, Clarendon: Oxford, 1982, p. 630
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 130
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.