- A Memory of Lord Ashburnham’s Claude
- ca. 1786
- Grey and brown washes
- image height 208mm,
- image length 267mm
- sheet, verso
- “From Memory, of a Claude / which Lord Ashburnham has”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP259). In June 1938 Judith Merivale sold it for £1 10s. to Rembrandt Gallery. By 1944 it was on sale at the Fine Art Society, where on 2 October 1944 it was bought for 18 guineas by Leonard Duke (1889–1971; no.D570), who sold it to Colnaghi (no.A15360) on 25 March 1948 for £15. On 16 April 1948 Colnaghi sold it to Squire Gallery for £29 10s. and by 1950 it was owned by Margaret Pilkington (1891–1974), who gave it that year to the current owner, the Whitworth Art Gallery (D.1950.2).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Manchester Museum & the Whitworth, University of Manchester, Manchester, 1950, D.1950.2
- Mrs Pilkington, 1950
- Squire Gallery, London, 16 April 1948
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 25 March 1948, GBP 29.10s, no.A15360
- Leonard Duke (1889 - 1971), 2 October 1944, GBP 15, no.D570
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 2 October 1944, GBP 18gns
- Rembrandt Gallery, June 1938, GBP 1 10s
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP259
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP259
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 British Museum, Department of Prints and Drawings Library.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.