- A Study in the New Forest
- Pencil and grey, brown, green and blue washes
- image height 420mm,
- image height 260mm
- artist's mount, verso
- “No11 / From a Study of Mr F. Towne, / in the New Forest / Louisa Drury / 1802”
- in Francis Towne’s hand, in light brown ink except “No11” in dark brown ink
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- A View in the New Forest
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination (image)
Descended to the artist’s granddaughter Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945) of Oxford, whose executors sold it on 12 April 1946 to Agnew’s (no.4555). There it was bought on 18 February 1947 by Mrs Maxwell Scott (presumably the wife of one of three brothers, Walter (b.1875), Malcolm (b.1883), and Herbert (b.1891) Maxwell Scott) for £18 18s. It is thereafter untraced until it was sold at Mallam’s of Oxford on 14 December 2005, lot 321, for £70 to the current owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 14 December 2005, GBP 70
- Mallam's, Oxford, Oxford, 14 December 2005, lot 321
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 12 April 1946, no.4555
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.