- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View near Exwell, looking towards Topsham
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image width 273mm,
- image length 483mm
- paper with a vertical crease down its centre, watermarked "J WHATMAN" and cut down at its top edge
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Descended in the family of John White Abbott until sold at Taylors in Honiton on 14 October 1993, lot 275, where it was bought for £1,100 by a private collector. In 2005 it was sold by John Spink (listed at £37,500).
- Associated People & Organisations
- John White Abbott (1763 - 1851)
- Private Collection
- John Spink
- Taylor's, Honiton
- Exhibition History
- Francis Towne and his Friends, John Spink at Colnaghi, 2005, no. 1
- Paul Oppé, 'John White Abbott', Walpole Society Journal: London, 1925, p. 76 (as by John White Abbott)
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 50
- 1 Oppé 1925, p.76.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.