- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View near Vicavasso, of Part of the Convent of St Cosimato, with the Modern Bridge on the Anio, and Part of the Claudian Aqueduct
- No date
- Oil (?)on canvas
- image width 1295mm,
- image length 1676mm
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes; Oppé 1920
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter, Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923), inherited the painting in 1915, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Works of British artists placed in the Gallery of the British Institution, Pall-Mall for exhibition and Sale, British Institution, 1811, no. as 'A view near Vicavasso, of part of the convent of St.Cosimato, with the modern bridge on the Anio, and part of the Claudian aqueduct, measuring 1295 x 1676mm'
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, pp. 101-102
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.