- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Rydal Water looking towards Rydal Hall
- Pencil (?), pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 267mm,
- image length 381mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F. Towne delt 1786”r left "F. Towne delt 1786"verso of the artist's mount: "No.6 A view of Rydal Water looking towards Rydal Hall, Ambleside in Westmoland, drawn by Francis Towne, August 8th 1786. Mounted August 2nd 1790 Leicester Square"
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.6 A view of Rydal Water looking towards Rydal Hall, Ambleside in Westmoland, drawn by Francis Towne, August 8th 1786. Mounted August 2nd 1790 Leicester Square”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and sold it on 17 June 1921 to Agnew’s (no.10020) for £40, where it was bought the same day by J. F. Walmsley for £55. On 29 July 1921 Walmsley sold it back to Agnew’s (no.10064), where it was bought the same day for £55 by the current owner, Towneley Hall Art Gallery & Museum (WA/CO22).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Towneley Hall Art Gallery and Museum, Burnley, 29 July 1921, GBP 55, WA/CO22
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 29 July 1921, no.10064
- J. F. Walmsley, 17 June 1921, GBP 55
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 17 June 1921, GBP 40, no.10020
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 138
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.