- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of the Waterfall at Lidford in the County of Devon
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, grey wash
- image width 304mm,
- image length 205mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / del. 1780”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of the waterfall / at Lidford in the / County of Devon / Drawn on the spot / by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Untraced until bought by Paul Oppé (1878–1857; no.1601) at Appleby Bros in February 1924 for 12s. 6d. Oppé’s descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery, London (T08515).
- Exhibition History
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 36
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 148
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.