- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image width 263mm,
- image length 375mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt 1795”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- signed and dated “1795”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Agnew’s records (image); Sotheby’s records; Examination
Presumably bought or commissioned from the artist by Arthur Harington Champernowne (1768–1819), as his great-grandson Arthur Melville Champernowne (1871–1946; see Comment at FT602) sold it at Sotheby’s on 9 June 1938 to G. D. Thompson for £26 (a group with FT298, FT312, FT313). By 1945 the drawing had been acquired by Walter James Redfern Turner of Solihull (1889–1945), whose estate offered it for sale at Sotheby’s on 2 June 1946 and again on 1 or 2 June 1948, when it was bought by Agnew’s for £125 and sold by them the following year to Mrs Hodgkinson. In 1999 the drawing was again on sale at Agnew’s and was offered for sale by John Spink in November 2005 for £38,000.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- John Spink, London, November 2005, GBP 38000
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1999
- Mrs Hodgkinson, 1949
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, June 1948
- Sotheby's, London, London, June 1948, GBP 125
- Walter James Redfern Turner (1889 - 1945), Solihull, 1945
- G. Douglas Thompson, 9 June 1938
Acquired in a group with FT298, FT312, and FT313.
- Sotheby's, London, London, 9 June 1938, GBP 26
- Arthur Melville Champernowne (1871 - 1946), June 1938
- [?] Arthur Harington Champernowne (1768 - 1819)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.