- Thomas Smith
- Album of Swiss and Italian Landscapes
- ca. 1780 - 1800
- Various, including pencil and watercolour, pen and ink and watercolour, pen and ink and monochrome wash
- pages are watermarked “1822”
- Various sizes, mounted on pages of an album
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- 1973 Manning and Albany catalogue (image); Examination (of a few)
Owned by Welbore St Clair Baddeley of Painswick (1856–1945) and thereafter untraced until its exhibition in 1973 at the Manning and Albany Galleries, London. A sketch of Ponte Rotto, Rome, was bought for the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester (D.1973.14), and nineteen sheets from the album were donated to the British Museum by the Manning and Albany Galleries in 1974. Several more have appeared on the London art market since 1973.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Manning Gallery, London, 1973
- Welbore St Clair Baddeley (1856 - 1945), Painswick, Gloucestershire
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.