- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour, on laid paper
- image width 235mm,
- image length 156mm
- laid paper with a Fleur-de-lis watermark (similar to Heawood 1829)
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt. 1786 / No2”
- in dark brown ink, the “F” and “T” seemingly overwritten in a thin pencil line
- sheet, verso
- “Morng light from the right hand” in pencil and, below it, “No 2 / Ambleside August 7th 1786” in brown ink in a small neat hand
- artist's mount, verso
- top left, “No 2”, and centre, “Ambleside / drawn on the Spot by/ Francis Towne / August 7th 1786.” in brown ink with a thin pencil line, the lowest line partly erased
- now detached from the drawing, but retained among the museum’s files
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until June 1967, when J. F. L. Wright of Birchwood House, Derbyshire, sold it for £1,000 to Paul Mellon (1907–1999). Its current owner is the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven (B1977.14.4147).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, December 1977, B1977.14.4147
- Mr Paul Mellon (1907 - 1999), June 1967, GBP 1000
- J. F. L. Wright, 1967
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 67 as 'Ambleside' or 75, 83 or 91 as 'At Ambleside'
- British Watercolors and Drawings from the 18th and 19th Centuries from the Yale Center for British Art, American Federation of Arts, 1985, no. 14
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 46
- Peter Bicknell, The Illustrated Wordsworth's Guide to the Lakes, Webb & Bower: Exeter, 1984, p. 53
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.