- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- At Tivoli
- In a Wood of Olives at Tivoli
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey and blue washes
- image width 380mm,
- image length 500mm
- wove paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “No17 / Francis Towne delt 1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “At Tivoli / No17. / Drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne / 1781”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Sotheby's records (image)
Sold by descendants of John White Abbott at Sotheby’s on 10 April 1997, lot 40, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sotheby's, London, London, 10 April 1997
- John White Abbott (1763 - 1851)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 149 as 'In a Wood of Olives at Tivoli'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 87
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 77
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 151
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 74
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.