- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Bay of Naples
- 1771 - 1796
- Pencil, watercolour
- image width 508mm,
- image length 762mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto
- signed and dated “1796”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Distance mont Lactarius of the Antients / mount Vesuvius Pines of Solimeno and Lava / of 1771 drawn on the spot by / Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Untraced until offered for sale by the executors of the Montague Meyer family collection at Christie’s on 18 June 1980, lot 68a (with FT558, FT559), where it did not sell. It sold at Christie’s on 17 November 1981, lot 106, whereafter it is untraced. This may well have been commissioned by John Short of Bickham, since it appeared at Christie’s with two others that originated with him.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1981, lot 106
- Christie's, London, London, 18 June 1980, lot 68a
Offered for sale with FT558, FT559. Unsold.
- Montague Meyer ( - 1961), November 1981
- [?] John Jeffrey Short (1753 - 1801), Bickham, Minehead, Somerset
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.