- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Chateau de Glerolles, near Vevey on Lake Geneva
- View of the Chateau de Glerolles, on the Lake of Geneva
- Chateau de Glerolles near Vevey on the Lake of Geneva
- image width 319mm,
- image length 488mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- signed, dated “1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Chateau de Glerolles, near Vevey on Lake Geneva”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Agnew's records (image)
Untraced until sold by Whitton & Laing, Exeter auctioneers, on 13 August 1969, lot 202, for £750 to Agnew’s (no.9642). On 21 June 1973 Agnew’s sold it to a Swiss collector, whereafter it is untraced. As it was sold in an Exeter auction room, probably this work originated in a collection from that area.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 13 August 1969, GBP 750, no.9642
- Whitton & Laing, Exeter, Exeter, 13 August 1969
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 109 as 'Chateau de Glerolles near Vevey on the Lake of Geneva'
- [?] The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1809, no. 525 as 'View of the Chateau de Glerolles, on the Lake of Geneva'
- 97th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1970, no. 25
- 98th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1971, no. 188
- 100th Annual Exhibition of Watercolours and Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1973, no. 21
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.