- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Edinburgh Castle & Heriot’s Hospital
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image length 253mm
- sheet, verso
- “No3 / Edinburgh Castle / & Heriots Hospital / August 14th 1811 / Francis Towne / Heriot’s Hospital”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was offered for sale at Christie’s on 7th April 1992, lot 68, but did not sell. It was sold at Christie’s on 12th July 1994, lot 46, for £2,300.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 12 July 1994, GBP 2300
- Christie's, London, London, 12 July 1994, lot 46
- Christie's, London, London, 7 April 1992, lot 68
- Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale) (? - 1909)
Within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.