- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Foliage Study
- No date
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Paul Oppé archive
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP191, BP192, BP193 or BP194). In 1945 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £50 in a parcel of “two small sketchbooks and five small drawings late in date”, after which point is is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Squire Gallery, London, 1945, GBP 50
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP191, BP192, BP193 or BP194
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP191, BP192, BP193 or BP194
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 125
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.