- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Kenilworth Castle
- ca. 1809 - 1815
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 178mm,
- image length 257mm
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Untraced (although see Comment below) until 20 February 1946, when sold by Bernard Milling of Squire Gallery to the Fine Art Society (no.4336) for £28 5s. The Fine Art Society sold it on 8 (or 3) September 1948 for £47 5s. to Joseph Hawksley Elliot of Sheffield (d. ca. 1978) and it was offered for sale by his daughter at Christie’s on 14 March 1978, lot 93, when, however, it did not sell. It was sold at Christie’s on 17 November, 1987, lot 155, for £2,400, whereafter it is untraced. It was surely acquired by Squire Gallery from Judith Merivale or her estate.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 17 November 1987, GBP 2400
- Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1987, lot 155
- Christie's, London, London, 14 March 1978, lot 93
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, September 1948, GBP 47.5s
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 20 February 1946, GBP 28.5s, no.4336
- Squire Gallery
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, 1926, no. 128
- The Squire Gallery Autumn Exhibition English Watercolours & Drawings, Squire Gallery, 1934, no. 6 as 'Landscape with Cattle and Sheep being driven along a Road, probably an Italian example'
- Wasser, Wolken, Licht und Steine, Mittelrhein Museum Koblenz, 2002, no. 29
- Evelyn Joll, Cecil Higgins Art Gallery Watercolours and Drawings, Trustees of the Cecil Higgins Art Gallery: Bedford, 2002, p. 263
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.