- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Kenilworth Castle
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 176mm,
- image length 260mm
- sheet, verso
- “No7 / Kennelworth Castle / August 28th 1813 from 11 to near 2 o clock / Francis Towne delt”
- Part of
- 1813 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1745–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 as part of a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764, which they sold in 1927 to Walker’s Galleries for £60. It is thereafter untraced until offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 16 March 1978, lot 62, when it did not sell. It was sold at Sotheby’s on 30 November 1978, lot 64, again at Sotheby’s on 14 March 1985, lot 35, for £1,150, and at Christie’s on 8 July 1986, lot 113, for £1,600, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 8 July 1986, GBP 1600
- Christie's, London, London, 8 July 1986, lot 113
- Private Collection, 14 March 1985, GBP 1150
- Sotheby's, London, London, 14 March 1985, GBP 1150, lot 35
- Sotheby's, London, London, 30 November 1978, lot 64
- Sotheby's, London, London, 16 March 1978, lot 62
- Walker's Galleries, London, 1927, GBP 60
Within a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764.
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.