- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Lake Como
- ca. 1781/08/27
- Pencil (?), pen and brown ink, watercolour, scratching out
- image width 155mm,
- image length 209mm
- mounted by the artist
- artist's mount, verso
- “Light on the right hand”, dated 27 August 1781, and numbered “22”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image); Agnew's records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP52) and sold it in 1925 to Miss L. Arthur of Butter Hill, Dorking, for £10. It is thereafter untraced apart from a valuation undertaken by Christie’s in 1973.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Miss L. Arthur, Dorking, 1925, GBP 10
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP52
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP52
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.